Wednesday, March 30, 2011

We're Going On A Picnic


It's spring break time here, so the kids all have the week off from school. Yay!!!! Dearest decided that today would be a good day to visit Fort Mantanzas National Monument, where they are holding a historical reenactment today.

My granddaughter and I decided that it would be a perfect time to have a picnic, too. We spent the morning in the kitchen making a French Picnic Tart for our lunch. She loves cooking and baking with her NeNe (me) and she's really very good at it. She's developed a taste for what spices and seasonings go well with what foods. I'm quite proud of her.

I don't make the French Picnic Tart very often as it's a little complicated and time consuming to put together, but it's also oh-so-good, so it's worth all the effort. I make a Perfect Ten pie crust, then layer cheese (this time we used Swiss, but I love Gouda in it), sauteed onions with sage, slices of crisp veggie bacon, slices of parboiled baby new red potatoes, steamed and chopped fresh greens (had to use kale this time as the store didn't have any of my favorite Swiss Chard) slices of red, ripe tomato, and then top it all off with another layer of cheese.

Did I ever mention that we're vegetarians here?

We're having frozen green seedless grapes as our side dish, another favorite of ours. My mouth is watering just thinking of the meal waiting for us.


I hope you all have a wonderful, sunny, warm spring afternoon! I'm thinking you.

2 comments:

glor said...

My goodness that looks good. If I wasn't so far away I'd be at the park right now waiting for your to get there! How wonderful to have our granddaughter cooking with you. That is a treasure. You have a wonderful time, blessings and all good things.

Syncmindaudio said...

First time reading this blog thanks for sharing.