Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Handmade Books - Part One


I have a confession to make. I love paper. I also love reading and writing. Making books by hand that I could write in seemed a perfect way to combine these adorations of mine. One of the first and easiest methods of book making I learned was the piano hinge book binding. No sewing or glueing involved, just cutting and weaving. I could also decorate them any way I desired. I loved it!

I also developed a new love, one of handmade paper. Oh, the things you could do with handmade paper! And beads! Yes, beads are a must to decorate piano hinge book binding, they just seemed to add the perfect touch.


And let's not forget glitter. Or stamping. Or pretty, pretty ribbons!


Trying to match all those items together into a coherent theme just adds to the thrill of the finished book!


I'm not sure what happened to all the books that I've made over the years. I know I've sold a few, and given a few away as prizes. I found a few of my favorites in my treasure box the other day, and was instantly filled with the desire to go search for paper and bamboo skewers. Fortunately, I had a pile of yarn with a crochet hook sticking out of ut to bring me back to my senses.

Ah well. Maybe I can talk my granddaughter into another bookmaking class this summer.

2 comments:

BalatongTNC said...

These are beautiful! I too love handmade paper.

Faith said...

you are so crafty...and creative..why don't you open up an Etsy store, and sell your wares so you can feed you paper habit...hee hee.........